REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

NZMS: are we moving deck chairs on the Titanic?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

NZMS: are we moving deck chairs on the Titanic?

Postby rayfound » March 23rd, 2012, 7:41 am

This article has bot me thinking that maybe all the wader washing, felt-abolishing, and 409 sales are in vain:

http://www.tested.com/news/articles/43487-snails-travel-hundreds-of-miles-inside-duck-intestine--/

Maybe there are too many natural vectors for fishermen to have an impact?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: NZMS: are we moving deck chairs on the Titanic?

Postby darrin terry » March 23rd, 2012, 8:15 am

Hmmm. I knew they were able to survive a trip through a trouts digestive tract, so I guess this should not be too surprising. Crappy ducks.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Artin » March 23rd, 2012, 8:37 am

Good find... I always knew this. Animals are the #1 transporter of plant and animal species. But it never occured to me that they also move the NZMS until this article. I don't know how I didn't put 1 and 1 together. Thanks.
I have fallen victim to the Vibram soled boot marketing tactic. (has me pretty * till this day).
The more you think about it the more hopeless all the precautions we take are.
I started feeling like I made a mistake of buying maybe a week after I bought the boots. Now I need to add cleats because they suck in my opinion vs. the felt. Man...

And the snail moves on.....

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby briansII » March 23rd, 2012, 11:42 am

I think you are right. There's no way to stop the spread. I do think fishermen have spread NZMS, but to what level is just not known. We also have didymo and quagga mussels to worry about. :? ......and who know how many species of invasive swimmers, crawlers, walkers or flyers.

FWIW, I bought rubber soled wading boots before they made all the fuss about felt. Even though Simms is making felt again, I'll still buy rubber soled boots. With studs they grip ok, and I just like them better for walking/hiking. AND, my truck floor mats stay cleaner.

briansII
briansII

Postby Trootfisher » March 25th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Interesting...

I've often wondered how NZMS made it from New Zealand to trout waters in the US in the first place . . .
Trootfisher

Postby 1mocast » March 25th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Trootfisher wrote:Interesting...

I've often wondered how NZMS made it from New Zealand to trout waters in the US in the first place . . .

Blame it on Donald Duck. He flew 1st class. ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Gary C. » March 25th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I speculated on these boards a long time ago that I thought birds were a much bigger threat than our wading was. I hadn't figured that riding along in a ducks digestive track was happening but that all those aquatic birds flopping and bathing in shaollow water then fly on to the next pond has to be spreading lots of nasty critters.
Gary C.

Postby Papasequoia » March 26th, 2012, 10:25 am

briansII wrote:I think you are right. There's no way to stop the spread. I do think fishermen have spread NZMS, but to what level is just not known. We also have didymo and quagga mussels to worry about. :? ......and who know how many species of invasive swimmers, crawlers, walkers or flyers.

I agree with this sentiment. Just because it has been shown that there are other ways for NZMS to spread does not automatically mean that it has been disproven that fishermen with felt-soled waders have an impact. It has been proven that fishermen can transport NZMS on their equipment - knowing that there are other methods of transport does not negate that fact. Who has a bigger impact is an unknown factor at this time. However, while we can't keep ducks from pooping, we can change our actions to limit our influence.

Also like Brian, I'm glad to get rid of felt and use rubber. I do a lot of scrambling on rocks out of the river moving from place to place and much prefer the security of rubber on dry rocks. And as a four-season fisherman I appreciate the fact that I don't grow a foot in height when walking on snow because it sticks to the felt bottoms. I've gotten used to wading with rubber soles and for me the tradeoff was more than worth it. YMMV.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby darrin terry » March 26th, 2012, 11:27 am

It is almost certain that NZMS was brought to the U.S. by way of a fisherman's gear. The article says they could go more than 200 miles in a duck's guts. It's about 9000 miles from New Zealand to California and if I recall, NZMS was first introduced in Idaho's Snake River and spread outward from there. It has spread by various means, and I believe that fishermen and other outdoors enthusiasts bear part of the responsibility for that. Ducks? It sure looks possible. Fish? Yes it has been proven that NZMS can survive a trip through a trout's guts as well. Seeing as there have been documented infestations in hatcheries such as the Hot Creek hatchery, it seems very likely. Yes I know that the HC hatchery fish are only planted in waters known to have NZMS, but how about before the infestation was discovered? How about a bear, or a deer walking through HC and picking up a hitchhiking snail or three. It then crosses the hills and into another creek or two dropping a snail or two in new waters? Oops. Guess what? Another NZMS positive water. Cleaning our gear is only going to help keep us from contributing to the spread.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Return to General Fly Fishing