REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

howdy

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

howdy

Postby buzzhackle » August 24th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Hi, Folks,

Just wanted to say hi. I'm pretty new to flyfishing and this looked like a cool board so I registered to see if I couldn't pick up some fishing wisdom and, hopefully, contribute some of my own eventually. Anyway I,m going to be backpacking up to the Mt. Whitney backcountry and was wondering if anyone had any advice along the lines of techniques and fly selection, especially for the high country lakes. Peace.

--Isa
buzzhackle

Re: howdy

Postby stanbery » August 24th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Welcome aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Fishfreak911 » August 24th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Welcome buzzhackle! That should be a great trip. Almost any of the waters will be holding plenty of hungry fish. I have never been up in that specific arfea, so I can't comment on specifics, but I know you'll get em. Those high alpine trout only have so much summer available to feed. Please report back to teh board. We LOVE pics! Especially backpacking trips!

This board is a great place with a bunch of cool folks. You'll have a great time here.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby 1mocast » August 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Welcome Buzz...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Wildman » August 25th, 2012, 4:47 pm

ISA-
Welcome to the forum!

There is a lot of good information on high country tactics located here...http://stevenojai.tripod.com/tactics.htm

Here is a map of the Whitney area and what is working http://stevenojai.tripod.com/whitneybc.htm

Pretty much any dry fly will work in the streams and creek. Streamers are always a good bet at the lakes.

Post a trip report....pictures are always great and let us know how you did.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » August 26th, 2012, 8:02 am

Welcome to the forum Buzz.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Welcome to FFA!