REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Might as well toss all your fly rods......

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Might as well toss all your fly rods......

Postby briansII » November 2nd, 2012, 8:54 am

.......in the trash, and start over.

The new H2 is here! :rockon: 20% lighter "in hand". 20% stronger. 100% :o more impact strength.

"it transitions energy directly from your brain to the fly and casts with the precision of a laser pointer.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id= ... -BOD_VIDEO

Now that's something! :bananadance:

Sage One. Pfft

And they only raised the price a little bit.

briansII
briansII

Re: Might as well toss all your fly rods......

Postby Sasha » November 2nd, 2012, 9:45 am

Been curious about them since I first heard about them a while ago. I currently have the original Helios and it is one of my favorite rods for many reasons. However, I am not in need of any new rods at the moment, so I guess the H2 will have to wait.

Besides I have to get an optic for my SR-15 :bananadance:
Sasha

Postby NorcalBob » November 2nd, 2012, 11:21 am

<<<"it transitions energy directly from your brain to the fly and casts with the precision of a laser pointer. >>>
Wait a second, wasn't this the same marketing spiel for a competitors new fly rod???? :deadhorse:
If I could cast with the precision of a laser pointer I'd buy this newfangled rod. But I can't!!!! :booty:
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » November 2nd, 2012, 11:28 am

No no no! The Sage One is the ONE! It's equally cool whether you are tugging on 4" Goldens or 40" Steelhead. It casts itself and can independently C&R your fish.

And now the Helios 2 is bumping it....... :booty:
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » November 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

Sorry, Curtis, but your Sage One is like, sooooo last week, dude. :funnyup:

Speaking of Sage, I sent my broken rod from the Forks trip to them for repair, and it was delivered 5 weeks ago yesterday. Yesterday I got an email from them saying "We have received your rod - turnaround time is about 3-5 weeks." Say what? Does that mean 10 weeks? :( Maybe they are busy trying to come up with the Sage One to the 10th Power to smash the H2.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby DrCreek » November 2nd, 2012, 1:03 pm

Casts that well? Wow. "...it transitions energy directly from your brain to the fly and casts with the precision of a laser pointer." I thought it was the person throwing the rod that was the one responsible party for good or bad fly presentation? You know, "operator error?" (Sorry Brian, not directed at you at all - just thought it sounded pretty left field).

(overheard in Orvis executive board room) ..."Hey fellas, I've got a new house in the Hamptons that I have to pay off. What new gimmick can we come up with so that I get more money?" (remainder of conversation unintelligible)
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » November 2nd, 2012, 2:27 pm

NorcalBob wrote:<<<"it transitions energy directly from your brain to the fly and casts with the precision of a laser pointer. >>>
Wait a second, wasn't this the same marketing spiel for a competitors new fly rod???? :deadhorse:
If I could cast with the precision of a laser pointer I'd buy this newfangled rod. But I can't!!!! :booty:

Bob, Bob, Bob. It says right there in black ink. "It", meaning the ROD transitions the energy, and your brain waves to the fly. Not you. All you.......or anyone else for that matter, needs, is this rod to make accurate, laser pointer casts.

That other rod just made the rod an extension of your arm. No laser pointer casts.

briansII
briansII

Postby Flatsix » November 2nd, 2012, 2:48 pm

So I just stand there and it directs the fly with laser precision to the exact location that I desire.

Badbutt!!!

I'm going to sell all my rods and get one asap!
Flatsix

Postby buggravy » November 2nd, 2012, 2:52 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Speaking of Sage, I sent my broken rod from the Forks trip to them for repair, and it was delivered 5 weeks ago yesterday. Yesterday I got an email from them saying "We have received your rod - turnaround time is about 3-5 weeks." Say what? Does that mean 10 weeks? :( Maybe they are busy trying to come up with the Sage One to the 10th Power to smash the H2.

I sent mine in about the same time, and called Sage some 4 weeks later just trying to get confirmation that they had actually received it. I was told, essentially, that it would be a needle in a haystack for them to search for my rod, and that I'd just have to wait. Spoke to a Sage dealer seemingly in the know, and was told that on average Sage receives 180 warranty returns per day. I find that hard to believe, but that's what I was told. If that's somehow true, or even close to true, it blows my mind.
buggravy

Postby RichardCullip » November 2nd, 2012, 4:59 pm

My birthday is Sunday and Christmas is right around the corner .... heading to the garage now to make room for the new rods....
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby meb » November 2nd, 2012, 5:22 pm

Thank God I'm still strong and fit enough to cast my 3 and 4 wt Sage Light Lines all day long, or I'd have to buy some new light weight rods from Orvis.

I seem to send a rod a year back to Sage for repairs (or in the case of RPs replacement with RPLs). They took six weeks to replace a broken spey rod this year, but if they are really getting hundreds a day, I think that's pretty good.

MB
meb

Postby Waterborne » November 2nd, 2012, 5:47 pm

DrCreek wrote:
(overheard in Orvis executive board room) ..."Hey fellas, I've got a new house in the Hamptons that I have to pay off. What new gimmick can we come up with so that I get more money?" (remainder of conversation unintelligible)

Orvis is a 150 year old, "family-owned" company. They probably already own the Hamptons and most of Vermont. The executives (trust fund progeny) need to finance their monthly bonefishing trips to the Seychelles, annual steelheading expeditions in Kamchatka, frequent snowbird trips to NZ for trophy browns, and upland game hunts in Scotland.

As a company, Orvis really invests their resources to market the sport. Their retail stores, online learning center, and FF/wingshooting schools are an example of that. However, I do think that a lot of their gear is overpriced ($200 Chinese made rods? *), too commercialized, and generally lacking the "soul and style" smaller manufacturers (Winston or Scott).

I'm sure that the H2 is a fantastic rod. I wouldn't hesitate to fish one, but I personally would never pay $800 for rod no matter who made it. Not even a Sage.
Waterborne

Postby Jeff Ike » November 2nd, 2012, 6:33 pm

Just like each year when new wetsuits come out and all the new and improved features: 20% lighter neoprene, less seams, more water resistant... I still can't surf any better....
Jeff Ike

Postby sschung » November 2nd, 2012, 11:44 pm

Well guys,

This rod really is that much different than the previous Helios, and a bit easier to cast than the Winston MXIII SE, Sage One, Some top end Hardy stick which I forgot to get the name of and a BleulahSalt stick and their new prototype. It was Gary Bulla, Myself, Marshal Bessette and I beleive the fourth was Murray Hatch/Dave Wratchford (Blurry since both guys were popular and stepping in and out of the rotation). Basicly we each got our favorite rod and casted all five rods against the H2; one rod after the other with each taking a turn through the rods. The test was to start with 60' of line on the water. You go streight into a back cast using a water haul to a forward cast with a single haul. There was no false casting, and all of the rods were 10wts. casting floating lines. The H2 ended up being the easier one to cast this manouver. The reason we did not do any false casting is that this is typically how the casting goes in Baja and Catalina/Paddies with breezing fish. The main thing I noticed was that there was no presure (pulling torque) on my shoulder with the back cast. It was explained to me what I was feeling or lack of feeling was the leverage weight. The top sections of the rods are a lot tougher than the Helios to better withstand a hit by a beaded or eyed fly. The H2 felt close in weight to the Helios and did not cost much more than my Helios. The blank was actually lighter, but the new paint and * were heavier than before, thus negating any weight reduction. Marshal a dye true green Winston rod minion was not happy when he like the H2 better becuase it was more responsive and the easiest to water haul. Gary is trying to figure out how to get some form the Orvis staff to goes on his trip. I suggest a trade. Murry ran of; as I am sure he did not want to admit that he like it better than the Sage one (the ONE felt like it had a little more leverage torque). Dave was babbling I don't know what. I basicly was supprised at how easy it was to cast the big sticks. The H2 actually blows my Zero-G, Xi3, and TCR out of the water. It feels a bit more crisp than the ONE; the Sage tip feels a little soft to me. The rod required less effort and was more forgiving than my Helios. The Beulah felt heavier and stiffer. The Winston to me was softer, and required more work to control. We did not compare these rods to TFO, ECHO or Reddington (and Scott was too far of a walk), since it would not have been an equal comparason. In the hands of a bad butt caster this rod can hit the needle in the hay stack in compramising conditions, for us lesser casters this rod will make that hard cast more of a doable option. My advise for this rod and the Sage one/Helios is slow you casting stroke down. Cast like your casting a medium fast action rod. You will get more out of the rod. I see too many casters who are casting way too fast and barely loading the rod. On the 9wt. - 12wt and soon my 14wt. I use a standard trout stroke barely extending my arm on the back cast to bomb the line out. I would encourage everyone to grab all of the top rods and cast them against each other side by side. This would be an excellent thing to do at the up coming Marriotts Orvis day.

As for the Perkins paying for their trips, well lets just say more is given to them than they will ever have to pay for. I think the travel guys figured out that by getting these big wig iconicons to say they go to their lodge/use their outfitter and so forth is pure gold advertising. I've seen it first hand where outfit owners say come on down it gratis. I wish I could be that lucky and born of that pedigree. I guess like in college there has to be some of us at the bottom of the bell cure to make up for the guys at the top.

Yes the H2 is a pretty nice rod, but that is whatyou get when you have two super geniuses designing rods and stuff all day. Look up Shaun Combs, and you will notice that he use to work on nuc sub power plant systems (in Fly Rod and Reel article). I think a lot of neat stuff will be coming out of there for a while since most of the design guys/gal are all under forty, except Tom R. The young guns at Orvis rod design have taken over.

Shane
sschung

Postby Papasequoia » November 3rd, 2012, 7:17 am

Interesting take and info - too bad you didn't try casting one in a 'trout weight' though.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing