REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Might as well toss all your fly rods......

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Might as well toss all your fly rods......

Postby tyingfool » November 3rd, 2012, 7:45 am

If it's that good do you think it will help pay for my gas? :rockon:
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby NorcalBob » November 3rd, 2012, 8:12 am

<<<The young guns at Orvis rod design have taken over>>>
Yeppers, stodgy and frumpy old Orvis has a new mojo and I like it! :rockon:
I about choked when I watched the H2 promo video and could not believe the new and edgy music score with it. What's going on here and what's happened to the gray old ladies at Orvis??? :deadhorse:
And yes, Shane hit it on the head. For us old pharts with bad shoulders/arms, the lightness of the Helios' is a big deal when you're flinging big rods casting long distances with heavy flies and sinking lines all day long. It's not quite as important with dinky weight trout setups, though.
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » November 3rd, 2012, 8:52 am

sschung wrote:
Yes the H2 is a pretty nice rod, but that is whatyou get when you have two super geniuses designing rods and stuff all day. Look up Shaun Combs, and you will notice that he use to work on nuc sub power plant systems (in Fly Rod and Reel article).
Shane

Puffy Daddy is designing rods now!?!? Who'd a thunk. ;)

Really enjoyed your review of the rod. Especially the comparison to the other rods. I know a rod can feel like the best you've ever cast, but when you do a side by side comparison, things/opinions change.

For the record, I wasn't knocking the H2, Orvis, or any other rod. I just find it mildy entertaining that when a new fly rod comes out, the company's ad team seems to think we're all toddlers, looking for the next best toy to get.....they could be right! :lol: :lol: Anyway, I do appreciate the new and better things the fly gear folks provide us. Rod development seems to be in hyper drive right now. Much more so that any other piece of fly gear.

I'll still poke fun at the rod company's ads. Come on! Laser pointer? :D

briansII
briansII

Postby Jimbo Roberts » November 3rd, 2012, 10:45 am

I started off decades ago fishing Fenwick feralite fiberglass and then HMG rods. Discovered Sage rods when they came out with RPLs. Have preferred every new generation since. Then the ONE came out, and I am not sure I like it as much as the XPs or Z Axis (But I only have 1 ZA 5100) The ONE I have is a 690 and it is lighter but seems to be missing some feel to it and I need a lighter reel to balance it (butt to tip). I haven't seen or cast a H2 but I guess I should try one.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby duckdog » November 3rd, 2012, 5:31 pm

Sure, marketing is hype. You take it with a grain of salt. I mean really, what is any company supposed to say when they launch a new product " well here it is - it's an alright rod - it feels kinda o.k ". Bottom line is you don't know till you cast it if it is legit or just marketing hype. Company's that just deal in hype don't last, you can either back it up or loose credibility . Do company's like Orvis and Sage back up the hype ? Go cast this rod and decide for yourself. You may not be willing to spend 800.00 for one but that's a whole different subject.
duckdog

Postby flychunker2255 » November 6th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I've heard good things about the new Orvis Rod. You really can't go wrong with their great return/replacement policy and lifetime warranty. It think it's even made in the USA.
flychunker2255

Postby sschung » November 6th, 2012, 2:58 pm

flychunker2255 wrote:I've heard good things about the new Orvis Rod. You really can't go wrong with their great return/replacement policy and lifetime warranty. It think it's even made in the USA.

The resin in the H2 and Helios is actually protected technology by the State Department that is not for use in forgien countries. This means that they will be in big trouble with both the State Department and be in violation of some of the national security policies regarding domestic use of protected technology. Thus I'm pretty sure both of these rods will not be made overseas.

Shane
sschung

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing