REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Landlocked salmon

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Landlocked salmon

Postby lucfish » February 2nd, 2015, 11:22 am

Looks like I will be in the Vermont area, (northern part) right when the fall colors are going to be at there peak, anywhere between the middle of September and the first of October. While there I would like to give some landlocked salmon a shot. Done a little bit of research but if anyone knows anything about it, it would greatly be appriciated. I am not adverse to getting a guide of a couple of days, whatever it would take. Thanks Luc
lucfish

Re: Landlocked salmon

Postby stanbery » February 3rd, 2015, 12:19 am

Luc
Sounds like fun good luck on the rip.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby fshflys » February 3rd, 2015, 9:51 am

Great time of year time visit that area, never fished for Salmon so I can't help out there. My parents lived in So NH I took my GF (now wife) back east to meet them in early Oct. A fun drive would be the Kancamagus Highway that goes from western NH to Conway in the White Mtns. Be sure to visit North Conway, we rode on the Conway Scenic Railroad, it was mid week & a buch of old farts (of which I am one now) were on the train taking in the scenery, as we rode past the high school, the football players on the field shot us "the moon", it was funny to see all those fuddy duddies crank their face around "did you see that".

Another experience would be to go to the Fryeburg Fair http://www.fryeburgfair.org/ just across the Maine border and there should be some Lobster Shacks around there, cheap lobster, mmmmm!

My father had an Old Town canoe, my GF & I did a trip on an easy flowing river. The GF is a born & raised SoCal, the autumn colors were reflecting off the water, I said "well dear, what do you think?" She said "It's, it's just like Disneyland" - *
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 3rd, 2015, 10:20 am

I fished for them in the Rapid River and the Magalloway. They are a ton of fun. On the rapid all it took were Golden Stones and hang on. Seriously we all hooked up on every 3rd or 4th cast. If you get one over a foot long on a 5wt, you are in for a huge fight. Have fun and tight lines.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby lucfish » February 3rd, 2015, 10:51 am

Fshflys: I was born in Manchester, N.H. but we moved to So Cal when I was 3. Haven't been back since I was 17. Wife has family in Newport/Island Pond area of Vermont and I know they will be moving in the next year or so to So Cal and I've heard that they have quite the spread so before they move I would like to see it and what better time than when the trees are turning color.

Thanks Chris: I looked up both rivers, there in Maine/N.H. Was thinking of a little closer to Newport, Vermont but I will check out the milage, it may be doable. Looked at the Clyde River in Vermont, just don't know how crowded it is. Will keep checking out some spots until I see what will work. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to all of them.
lucfish

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 3rd, 2015, 11:53 am

I suspect that there are many rivers closer that fish just as well. That is some beautiful country up that way and in the Fall, that will be amazing. I love fall fishing. It is one of my 4 favorite seasons for fishing.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Papasequoia » February 3rd, 2015, 7:54 pm

Can't help with the salmon, but depending on how the color line is progressing south and where you are at the time, I would second a drive on the Kancamagus highway. Just don't do it on a weekend or it will be packed with Masshole Leafpeepers.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fshflys » February 4th, 2015, 8:41 am

Papasequoia wrote: Masshole Leafpeepers.
:funnyup:
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Return to General Fly Fishing