REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Solar Panels For Backpacking

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Solar Panels For Backpacking

Postby Gary C. » February 6th, 2015, 4:54 pm

I don't understand why anyone would want music over nature either but I have a couple friends that do. It doesn't seem like they can walk anymore without there earphones plugged in. I am ok with that, it's their hike to hike. I draw the line and you will hear me yelling to get their attention when they start bellowing along with some song at the top of their voice. :fireangry:
Gary C.

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 6th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
John Harper wrote:And I was going to bring my Iphone and a small speaker to the GTW, so I could share my extensive collection of "Death Metal" hits and misses this year. So much for that idea.

John

I don't know if you were serious, half kidding, or fully kidding ;-) however, that's why I hate car camping these days.

I too do not get the fishing with earphones. I once did a fishing trip with a guy who thought the thing to do was set up a PA and speakers to play his tunes at the cabin. Even in a cabin, I want the peace and quiet. Funny because when I was in my 20's I would be right there with that guy. But you get older and all the music just seems too loud.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 6th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Here is the thing though, when I sing along it sounds just like the record. Especially when I am jamming Eminem.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby flocktothewall » February 6th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Its kinda funny the differences of opinions here. I'm sure we can all find reasons why we shouldn't like each other, or slap each other on the trail...

I am one of those that takes my phone. I don't carry a solar charger because I don't use my phone much while I am out. I have kids, its great to break out your phone when its 3 AM (when the full moon makes it seem like daylight at 11,000 feet) to be able to see a picture of my son smiling, or my daughter because I miss them so much.

Half the time for me hiking/backpacking is one of those things where I ask myself on the ascent, "why do I torture myself." Sometimes the top of the ascent is a great view and reward, other times, it shows I have so much further to go than I hoped.

I don't listen to music whilst I hike, but I like the option as to when my brother in law who snores louder than any other human being I have ever met is rattling the tent, I can turn on something that will drown out the trickling stream. Also I do like the option when hiking with someone who is very "OPINIONATED" to drown out their opinions on everything that ruin the otherwise solace that comes in nature.

I like how one poster said they were going to share their collection of heavy metal... thats awesome. While not my music AT ALL, everyone's different. I remember I ranted on another webpage about backpacking about the weight of my pack and being ridiculed by the Ultralighters... Everyone is different, I won't go without my sleeping pad, or an extra pair of socks. I like them too much. (Should I add my phone?)

Backpacking is all about compromise, what do I NEED, what am I willing to TAKE. If someone likes to listen to music, what's the big deal? I think a bigger deal would be the people that leave their trash behind, camp illegally or don't have any courtesy for others while on the trail, thats way less tolerable than a person with headphones or not.

All that to say, I never packed with a solar pack. I have one of those lipstick style battery chargers. I can get 2 full charges out of it on my phone, and it weighs an ounce and cost $10. That keeps me with my phone on airplane mode working for 10 days.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Chris Kuhn » February 6th, 2015, 6:28 pm

There is something to be said for some of us, who need to be able to be contacted in an emergency or who lose money if they do not get back to people in a timely manner.
Chris Kuhn

Postby John Harper » February 7th, 2015, 7:41 am

Papasequoia wrote:
John Harper wrote:And I was going to bring my Iphone and a small speaker to the GTW, so I could share my extensive collection of "Death Metal" hits and misses this year. So much for that idea.

John

I don't know if you were serious, half kidding, or fully kidding ;-) however, that's why I hate car camping these days.

Fully kidding, of course. ;) I got enough to handle coping with ADD to keep me occupied. Hey, there goes a marmot!

John
John Harper

Postby Benny » February 7th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I enjoy music at home, at work, and in the car. While in the backcountry I opt for the sound of wind blowing through the trees. The sound of running water, chirping birds, the crack of thunder etc....

Never have I carried a cell phone into the backcountry. What brought this topic on was the fact that I seen the solar panels at Fry's. Will I buy one, highly unlikely. This was more of how cool is that, portable solar panels. I was wondering if any of you might have them or have interest in using them, that's all.
Benny

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing