REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Snow Gauge says 21 inches........

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Snow Gauge says 21 inches........

Postby midger » February 9th, 2009, 11:16 am

Here's a shot I just took after plowing our driveway:

We now have a (actually measured) total of 21 inches out of this series of storms with more on the way and it is still snowing.

This second shot is from yesterday morning:

The trout should be happy!
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Snow Gauge says 21 inches........

Postby Benny » February 9th, 2009, 11:30 am

Nice to see all that snow....and there's more on the way ;)
Benny

Postby Gary C. » February 9th, 2009, 12:48 pm

It was snowing here at work in Mojave a little earlier. Nothing that stuck but it sure is low in the Tehach foothills.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby Eric » February 9th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Mike that sure is great news.
Eric
Eric

Postby rayfound » February 9th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Hail in riverside right now, slightly larger than a BB.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby midger » February 9th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Since I posted that shot earlier today another 7-8 inches has fallen. Time to snowblow again.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby darrin terry » February 9th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Nice! :D Tie, tie, tie. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » February 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm

nice 8-)

now we need it to stick around...
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Papasequoia » February 9th, 2009, 6:07 pm

That's great to see! As I woke this morning I saw the southern Sierras on the east side here covered in snow. Looks like the snow level was just a little bit above us (we are at 2300 feet). Looking towards Walker Pass on 178 it was all blanketed in white. Lovin' it!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » February 9th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Sweet!!!!!!

Up here it snowed all day too, but then around 4 or so the sun came out and it warmed up to the upper 30's.
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » February 9th, 2009, 9:37 pm

On a related topic, does anyone have a site that gives water/snow percentages and averages? I googled several terms and came up with some scientific sites from the DWP and USGS, but was hoping for an easier to use interface like something that gives current state rainfall and snowfall and how it compares to previous years percentage-wise. Thanks, Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby RichardCullip » February 9th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Papasequoia wrote:On a related topic, does anyone have a site that gives water/snow percentages and averages? I googled several terms and came up with some scientific sites from the DWP and USGS, but was hoping for an easier to use interface like something that gives current state rainfall and snowfall and how it compares to previous years percentage-wise. Thanks, Jon

Try this one out, Jon. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/

It's a bit awkward to navigate around and find exactly what you might be looking for but there seems to be a wealth of information buried in there.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Wildman » February 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm

We didn't get quite that much but it has been extremely cold. There will be 4 inches of ice in the horse's water troughs that has to be chipped out each morning. Yesterday, it was too cold to go fishing so I did the next best thing. Went skiing with my son. Still can't get used to these little shaped skiis! We are gearing up for several feet over the next week or so if forecasters are to be believed.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby midger » February 11th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Snow looks great Jim. Yeah those short parabolic skiis take some getting used to, but I'll bet the snow was really nice.

We are also projected to get another 2-3 feet of snow this weekend. I love it! Lots of beer, aleve for the muscles, and send me in coach. :lol:
midger

Postby Eric » February 11th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Looking good Jim
Eric
Eric

Return to General Fly Fishing