REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Rendezvous Tournament on Kern

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Rendezvous Tournament on Kern

Postby DubL HauL » September 16th, 2008, 10:19 am

wildfly wrote:Mike,

I am not able to participate in the tournament. I spoke prematurely in asking for a partner before I was approved to be in the tournament I guess. The details are in this thread if you are interested.

I like the IPA with the chili and the spicy mustard on the burger... it has enough flavor to complement those two. Good stuff!

ditto on the IPA don't know what Darrin is talkin about I always fill my growler with IPA
DubL HauL

Postby Benny » September 16th, 2008, 10:23 am

Best item I've had was the spicy hot wings with ranch or blue cheese dressing. I'm really big on flavor lots of flavor Image The beer is ok , Ive only had the Red so I can't really say about the others.
Benny

Postby castaway » September 16th, 2008, 12:09 pm

If you havent sampled the "big blue mine burger" with a Sierra Red - your not truely living...
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby darrin terry » September 16th, 2008, 12:37 pm

I think it was a mushroom burger I had, not sure. That was October last year. I know I had the Red, did not care for it. In fact, I did not finish it.

The burger was very good. I had the Stout the last two times I was there. Decent. Did not compare at all to beers from the likes of say Lagunitas or Stone. I have it on good authority that I MUST track down some beers from Russian River Brewing Company. Pliny the Elder specifically. It is not available in Fresno as far as I can tell. :( I am told they will not sell it thru stores which will not guarantee cold storage. Their Blind Pig IPA is supposed to incredible as well.

Perhaps my taste is jaded for having brewed some very good beers at home in the past. Sometimes I think about getting back into it.

Oh, if anyone has an opportunity to try beers from a brewer called Dogfish Head Brewery, it is another I have been told is sublime. Jeez, then there's Lost Abbey, another for you SoCal folks as they are in the San Diego area.
:D :lol: :twisted: :ugeek:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Eric » September 16th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Benny wrote:
wildfly wrote:Thanks guys... I already inquired about just the dinner portion and was told "I sorry but we have cut off the dinner as well". Well, at least I don't need to get approved to just go up and fish, right? I'll be up there.

If you really want to get a group together so that you could meet the faces behind the names, then I would suggest that you start a buddy outing section on the forum or create a group outing section where whomever wants to join in can just post a message or PM if they are intrested. Just a thought ;)

I'll second that idea Benny. a buddy outing section would be a very good idea.
Eric
Eric

Postby anacrime » September 16th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:I think it was a mushroom burger I had, not sure. That was October last year. I know I had the Red, did not care for it. In fact, I did not finish it.

The burger was very good. I had the Stout the last two times I was there. Decent. Did not compare at all to beers from the likes of say Lagunitas or Stone. I have it on good authority that I MUST track down some beers from Russian River Brewing Company. Pliny the Elder specifically. It is not available in Fresno as far as I can tell. :( I am told they will not sell it thru stores which will not guarantee cold storage. Their Blind Pig IPA is supposed to incredible as well.

Perhaps my taste is jaded for having brewed some very good beers at home in the past. Sometimes I think about getting back into it.

Oh, if anyone has an opportunity to try beers from a brewer called Dogfish Head Brewery, it is another I have been told is sublime. Jeez, then there's Lost Abbey, another for you SoCal folks as they are in the San Diego area.
:D :lol: :twisted: :ugeek:

The Stone beers are great.

i want to try their russian stout next time it's available
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » September 16th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Dood! I finally got a hold of some of the Imperial Russian Stout. Had it on my last camping trip. O. M. F. G.! If you like big beers, and having stated that "The Stone beers are great", I must assume you do, then you may just love this beer. Dense flavor profile. Coffee, dark chocolate, black currant… Seriously left me floored. I'd been wanting to try it for a couple years. If I see any more, I'll get some and try to hold onto a bottle. Try. ;)
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » September 16th, 2008, 4:17 pm

yeah it's supposed to be amazing. it's one of the most reputable brews in the world
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby castaway » September 16th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Darin...

Awesome you mention Russian River Brewing company - that is my hometown... And yes the place is amazing. I have also visited the lagunitas brewery - both get thumbs up - since this is a fly fishing forum - I am heading back up to the Russian River in December to chase some chrome heads - I have caught them before - but this will be my first year chasing them on the fly.

They have done a great job managing that river - basicly the hole river is special regs, and you cant fish for the Salmon. I think you can only keep one hatchery raised steelhead and zero limit on naturals (missing fin on hatchery fish) - They have a great hatchery steelhead program at lake Sonoma - its really a model of success on managing steelhead populations. Also, if your ever in that area - visiting the hatchery during the spawn is something you must do - between wine tasting and visiting the brewery..
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby darrin terry » September 16th, 2008, 9:07 pm

I did not visit the Russian River Brewery, but did Lagunitas (way cool, a bar overlooking the bottling floor :D . while we were there, the guy giving us the tour was called away. as he walks off he says over his shoulder "You know where the taps are" :D ), Anderson Valley & Bear Republic. A friend was living in Santa Rosa at the time. He is now back in San Diego. He was one of the two friends I started brewing with. He is the one told me about Russian River and Last Abbey and Dogfish Head.
darrin terry

Postby Papasequoia » September 16th, 2008, 11:32 pm

By Imperial Russian Stout, do you mean the Old Rasputin? If so, that is a great stout, my favorite. I have a friend who buys it by the quarter keg he likes it so much. I will be bringing some to the tourney. I usually start out with the Fat Tires then switch to stout. I brew my own beer as well, but I'm out for now. I plan on brewing a new batch of my Fat Trout Double Stout very soon. In time for a FlyFishingAddicts rendezvous? ¿Quién sabe? We'll see.

As for no more room at the bbq either, um, *? Let's not go down this road again, but something smells fishy.

No harm in showing up at the campground, you are more than welcome in my site (#4). Personally, I love to get out and party with the folks I have met through the forums and fishing. Hanging around the campfire and tipping a few with people you already know from the past, or people you are just getting to know, is a lot of fun for me. On the other hand, when it comes to fishing, I'd rather spend all of my time on the water alone. That's just the way I am. Hope you can make it, Craig. We'll be able to hear the band from my campsite. ;) Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby darrin terry » September 17th, 2008, 7:03 am

Old Rasputin? No, but it is the same style, different brewer. Here is a link to Stone's IRS: http://www.stonebrew.com/irs/

Old Rasputin is from North Coast Brewery. I've not tried it yet, but will keep an eye out.

Jon, when you brew, do you do all grain or extract. I was doing extract brews, but also brewed with a friend for a while doing all grain. Did some very good beers both ways I thought. You can usually tell an extract brew by the taste though.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » September 17th, 2008, 10:11 am

Darrin Terry wrote:Dood! I finally got a hold of some of the Imperial Russian Stout. Had it on my last camping trip. O. M. F. G.! If you like big beers, and having stated that "The Stone beers are great", I must assume you do, then you may just love this beer. Dense flavor profile. Coffee, dark chocolate, black currant… Seriously left me floored. I'd been wanting to try it for a couple years. If I see any more, I'll get some and try to hold onto a bottle. Try. ;)

Man, i'm like pavlov's dog here after reading that description. I love dark and rich.....um, beer. :lol: Did you find that stout locally. I'll be up in Fresno later today, and would love to pick some up. BevMo?

brians
briansII

Postby darrin terry » September 17th, 2008, 10:23 am

BevMo might/should have it, but I found it at the Save Mart at Nees/First. Same place I found Blackthorn Cider.

If you find some, post and let me know. :D
darrin terry

Postby briansII » September 17th, 2008, 11:04 am

Darrin Terry wrote:BevMo might/should have it, but I found it at the Save Mart at Nees/First. Same place I found Blackthorn Cider.

If you find some, post and let me know. :D

Thanks for the heads up. I know the Save Mart. I eat at a little takeout(Zeni Ya) in the shopping center.. I'm not sure what's up with Save Mart, but my local one has a nice selection of micro/craft beers. I'll probably hit the BevMo since it'll be closer. I'll have my daughter with me, and she likes looking at all the bottles. :D

briansII
briansII

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing